Complete Béla Discography

The all 'Tones talk area.

Complete Béla Discography

Postby Marklar » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:57 am

A while ago I decided to turn my ever increasing amount of Béla Fleck CDs into a formal collection. Operating on the theory, that "anyone who plays with Béla Fleck also plays music that is worth buying and listening to" i decided to include his guest musician work in this collection. Also, I already had a dozen or so albums that he guested on, so that helped sway my decision. Anyone know of any albums that are missing from the Wikipedia article? I feel like there must be more than are on this list, but I am not quite sure how to go about finding them. Any help anyone can give would be greatly appreciated.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Béla_Fleck_discography
Marklar

Re: Complete Béla Discography

Postby azzie » Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:11 pm

Hi Marklar,

What about Sliverlined by Donna the Buffalo. Bela plays on track 3 (Locket and Key ) & track 12 (Beauty Within). I know there are others but can't think of them at the moment.

Ron
azzie

Postby HopeL » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:58 pm

Africa sessions: Part Two

It's a winner!

Hope Lin :geek:
HopeL

Postby hilleviw » Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:12 pm

There's also Bill Evans' Soul Grass - Bela's on...several tracks. I think there's more missing, but I'll have to look through my Bela shelf and report back.

ETA:
There's the Danse Macabre single, with Ben Sollee.
There's a cut on an album called "A Different Mozart" which is a compilation.
Several tracks on Double Banjo Bluegrass Spectacular.
A couple of tracks on the Chieftains' Down the Old Plank Road.
Heartland: An Appalachian Anthology, with Edgar Meyer & Mike Marshall
He covers Burn On on Sail Away: The Songs of Randy Newman
Couple of things on Julian Lage's Sounding Point
Shows up on Casey Driessen's record 3D

But I'm not even going to pretend this list is a comprehensive supplement to the Wikipedia discography. Is Cowtown still being maintained? There might be something there, if it is.
hilleviw

Postby Marklar » Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:36 pm

As far as I can tell, that only has to deal with live shows, which doesn't help me in my quest at all (other than allowing me to locate and download more live shows than I actudally need. Maybe I should abandon hope of getting them all. At this point, tracking all of them down and collecting them all seems similar to what Sisyphus got stuck doing. Although, if he got to listen to records like Aras by Curandero (along with Béla and Kai Eckhardt, one of my favorite CDs) maybe he could have succeeded. Or, more likely, he would have just given up on the rock thing and buy himself some nice speakers and crank out the tunes.
Marklar

Postby Bumbershoot » Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:57 pm

Bela appears on several tracks on "Everything Is Gonna Work Out Fine" by Jerry Douglas.
He plays on one song on "The New Nashville Cats" by Mark O'Connor.
He plays on several tracks on "Ice Caps: Peaks Of Telluride" by Sam Bush.
He plays on two songs on "Telluride Bluegrass Festival: 30 Years" by various artists.
He plays a duet with Abigail Washburn on "Appalachian Picking Society", a Windham Hill compilation.
Bumbershoot

Postby Bumbershoot » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:33 pm

I found some more Telluride compilations that feature tunes with Bela Fleck: "Telluride Bluegrass Festival: 1992", "Alive At 25: The Telluride Bluegrass Festival's Silver Anniversary" and "Reflections 1".
Bumbershoot

Postby HopeL » Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:17 pm

The secret to Cowtown for you would be to locate guest artist and see if Mr. Fleck is a guest musician on their recordings.

Just a research aspect to look into.....

Hope Lin :geek:
HopeL

Postby DMBTex10101 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:47 am

Off the top of my head, he's appeared on Garth Brook's "Sevens", "In Pieces" and "Double Live", Chris Thile's "Not All Who Wander are Lost" as well as Victor's "What Did He Say"

He was also on the Beverly Hillbillies soundtrack from the 1993 movie. I think he played a song or two and produced a couple as well.

allmusic.com has a fairly complete listing. Just search for Bela and click the credits tab. Granted this won't give you the specific tracks he's guested on, it'll at least give you the albums he's guested on.

Good luck, it would be cool to have a complete discography!
DMBTex10101

Postby jen17 » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:22 am

I think I found another one! I have been searching this whole time :)

Mark Schatz's album: Brand New Old Tyme Way.

Bela plays banjo and guitar on a number of the songs. He also produced the album. It is goooood!

I didn't see it on anyone's lists. If it was there and I missed it, sorry - - use this as a reminder to pull it off the shelf and give it a listen.
jen17

Next

Return to Flecktones