Has Anyone Seen Any of the Holiday Shows?

The all 'Tones talk area.

Re: Has Anyone Seen Any of the Holiday Shows?

Postby Bep » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:48 am

Oh yeah..got to see them Sunday night in Seattle @ the Jazz Alley..great music with all the different tunes and musicians available to lend many interesting twists of the Christmas classics and more. Flecktones just still blow me away after seeing them over the years, Casey is an awesome fiddler and the Alash segment ..well it just made me think how great it is to have such diversity among great artists..went w/ some friends who didn't really know of the flecktone sounds but they are still tripping on the experience three days later..a must see if you can..
Bep

Postby Bumbershoot » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:05 pm

hillevi wrote:You hate me: the Santa Rosa show was great. Not only did we get Flecktones and Alash, we also got Casey "Red Shoes" Driessen and Dave Grisman sitting in. Pictures, including a scan of the signed set list, here: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2 ... 6f2d833256 .

Great photos, Hillevi! I wonder how long Victor has had a beard?

It's possible I'll drive down to Tucson this weekend to catch the show. It's only 400 miles. That's the closest they've come to me for any of the holiday tours.
The Flecktones haven't done a show in New Mexico in over 3 years (Bela was here last year with the Africa Project).

By the way Hillevi, you might be interested in this- I was in NYC recently for Jorma's 70th birthday bash (Electric Hot Tuna at the Beacon Theater).
Fantastic show, 4 hours long with lots of special guests!

Edit: I was wrong, Bela was here Feb. 3 of this year with the Africa Project.
Bumbershoot

Postby hillevi » Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:42 am

Wow, is Jorma really 70? He's a friend of a friend, and has never seemed that age to me, but I suppose it must be true. The birthday bash must've been a hoot. I'm working with a couple of people to put together something along those lines in May, a benefit for the Kinkaid Foundation (I'm on the board). We've got Jemima Puddleduck (Mark Karan's band) and Julian Dawson (formerly of Plainsong) confirmed, and conversations going with a couple more acts. Another of these gigs with hour after hour of music; I think it'll be a blast.

I wonder how long Victor has had a beard?

I wondered too, and wondered whether the tonsure was recent. Glad you like the pictures. As usual I had a really hard time getting some decent shots of Futureman; he moves so constantly that it's hard to get a well-focused action shot. Pleased I finally got a good picture of Jeff blowing both horns at once. Always a crowd pleaser, that, even if it's not the most musical thing Jeff does.
hillevi

Postby godwyns » Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:31 am

Yes, My son took my wife and I to a great Etheopian dinner in Berkeley and then for our first visit to the incredible Fox Theather in Oakland to see Bella and all. My wife and I have been going to concerts since 1968. I can say this may have been the best concert we have ever been to bar none. The musicality, the vibe, the Christmas spirit, the talent level and the extra treat of the throat signers, especially opening up with their version of jingle bells made for an incredible evening. We have seen Bella before but this show was truly something special What a gift. We will carry the memories of this show with us for a very long time. Merry Christmas and and a huge thnak you to Bella, Futureman, Victor and everyone else.
godwyns

Postby hartzb65 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:03 am

I was lucky enough to see the boys at Bing Crosby Theater in Spokane, early tour, Fri Dec 3. Really cool old little venue right downtown. Maybe 700 seater including balcony. A mutual friend got us 2nd row seats right in front of Victor! Was a birthday treat girls weekend for me and my BFF. I won't say how old in case she see this. :lol:

I flew into Bozeman on Thurs, she picked me up at the airport, and we got directly on the road to Spokane. Stayed at the Davenport, across street from the theater. Beautifully restored century hotel, 3 story atrium with decorated carved beams and a cavernous fireplace at one end. Comfy oversized seating areas galore. Being the holiday season, there was a 20 ft Christmas tree in the center fountain, and many smaller ones scattered about the 2nd floor balcony all decorated in different themes. Peacock Bar off the atrium had a GORGEOUS jewel-toned stained glass peacock above the service bar. Fantastic martinis! (For desert in a glass, the Chocotini is a must-have - simply divine). Safari Club off the other side of atrium serves a delicious crab/avocado omelette. Old world service with very friendly staff. Our room had all marble bathroom with huge glass shower and deep soaking tub. I generally stay at budget motels, so this was all just so over-the-top to me!

Unfortunately, I fell out of bed that night (let's just say, budget motels don't have high beds requiring stepstools, you fill in the blanks) and broke my foot. :shock: Well, I didn't know it was broken until I got back to Ohio - that's another story. But needless to say, we didn't get to explore downtown as planned, except to find a drugstore so I could buy a cane to hobble to the show that night. The show must go on!!

When we arrived, we discovered that our seats were on the aisle. Lucky "break" for me (sorry, couldn't resist :roll:). First saw the Flecktones with Howard way back when, and it was love at first note. Had been several years since I saw them last, so had my jones on. Plus we'd seen Casey Dreissen getting off the bus that afternoon which added to the anticipation. We were not disappointed! Have no idea on the set list, generally don't know song names, I'm more of a groove gal, and there was plenty of that.

Hadn't heard Jingle All the Way album yet, so it was fresh to my ears. Some personal highlights: 12 Days of Christmas, each day in a different key and time signature. What?? Really???? Wow. Phenomenal. Really enjoyed Linus and Lucy, and the medley of Christmas songs. Futureman did part of his solo on a shoeshine box as an ode to the shoe shine man they all met in Nordstrom's that afternoon. So that was special. And what can one say about Victor? One incredible thing I saw him do that I never saw before (been a long time since I'd been that close, so maybe he always does it?), was each hand on opposite sides of the fret, moving towards each other, until one hand was actually playing under the other. He just blows me away. But what really made me slackjawed was Alash. Tuvan is in Siberia, and Bela said their songs were mostly about beautiful women and horses. Or beautiful horses. Ha. But once they got going, the gutteral sounds included a higher pitch that sounded like another instrument, not like a voice at all. Most astonishing.

So a great time was had by all. My friend knew the promoter, also from Bozeman, who gave us promo posters for everyone to sign which was cool. Granted, it was early in the tour, but you could just tell these are genuinely good guys who like being around each other, laughing and cracking jokes. I told Bela he had the best job in the world, and his face just lit up as he agreed. It was so nice to see them having a good time off stage too. It's not just an act up there!

Can't wait until the spring with Howard now. Old school Flecktones doing fresh music. How exciting is that?! Bela said dates were just being set, so he didn't know venues yet, but that it would probably be more eastern, at least to start. So I put in my request for an Ohio date. Starting to save for traveling again though, just in case. Music is food for my soul, and the Flecktones just taste SO GOOD! :D
hartzb65

Postby DMBTex10101 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:35 am

hartzb65 wrote:I was lucky enough to see the boys at Bing Crosby Theater in Spokane, early tour, Fri Dec 3. Really cool old little venue right downtown. Maybe 700 seater including balcony.......

That's a great story and review, sounds like a great time all around (minus the broken foot). I'm curious to see what the promo poster looks like, any chance you could post a pic of it? No rush, I'm just curious.

Thanks again for the review! Sounds like Casey Drissen hit up every show with them this year. Pretty neat.
DMBTex10101

Postby jen17 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:04 pm

Thanks to all so far for posting your stories about the concerts you went to this tour. I really enjoyed reading these posts.
All sounded great and like A LOT of fun was had - -except for hartzb65's broken foot!
Jen
jen17

Postby hartzb65 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:44 pm

jen17 wrote:...All sounded great and like A LOT of fun was had - -except for hartzb65's broken foot!
Jen

Jen, it's all good. I had fun too! Quality time with my friend, killer show, awesome accomodations. The bones will heal, but the memories from that weekend will last a lifetime.

DMBTex10101 - I'll work on it. For someone who works with computers all day, I'm a bit ignorant about posting photos. :oops:

Happy Holidays to everyone!
hartzb65

Postby Marklar » Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:38 pm

Any chance there were any tapers at the David Grisman concert that are able to give us all a christmas present and put it up on the archive? Since reading that this morning, I have been searching every place I can think of, but haven't found anything.
Marklar

Postby DMBTex10101 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:15 pm

Marklar wrote:Any chance there were any tapers at the David Grisman concert that are able to give us all a christmas present and put it up on the archive? Since reading that this morning, I have been searching every place I can think of, but haven't found anything.

I second this!
DMBTex10101

PreviousNext

Return to Flecktones