Postby HopeL » Fri May 20, 2011 10:33 pm

Pretty much sums it up!

http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/article ... 39543&pg=2

Enjoy!
Hope Lin :geek:
HopeL

Re: New Article

Postby geddypastorius » Fri May 20, 2011 11:04 pm

I just read this article! It's a really good one, and you're right it pretty much does sum everything up! I always thoroughly enjoy reading about the Flecktones, this author did them as well as the new album a lot of credit.
geddypastorius

Postby hillevi » Sun May 22, 2011 11:32 am

I'm not crazy about this, actually. The essentialism makes me twitch and I don't like seeing Jeff's contributions marginalized.

Frankly, two of my favorite Flecktones tracks came from the trio (Peace Be Still and Spunky & Clorissa).

I don't think there's a hole in the band or something missing on tracks like Sunset Road or Cheeseballs or Big Country or Shanti or Latitude or [you fill in the blanks, it seems I could continue indefinitely].

It was the Flecktones with Howard that made me fall in love with the group, but it was the Flecktones with Jeff that kept me in love. I'm delighted Howard is back and hope to hell they make it out to northern California, but I don't think the intervening years were just filler.
hillevi

Postby geddypastorius » Mon May 23, 2011 1:28 pm

Ya, you actually caught one of the only things I didn't like about it, meaning the trio and coffin days. Those were some of my favorite times of the flecktones, some of my favorite songs and albums, and the first concert I saw of the flecktones was with coffin. And there is definitely no "hole" in the sound they had. Same with the trio days, three flew over the cuckoo's nest is still one of my favorite albums of all time, and was actually the first flecktones album I ever heard. So I completely agree on that note, that being said, I did like the credit he gave the new album though, it really does recapture that original flecktones sound.
geddypastorius

Postby RVACharlie » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:50 pm

I agree as well.

It almost seems as if he is writing from the point of view of a jaded fan or something. I fell for the Flecktones just before Left of Cool was released. When I delved further in to them and listened to the older stuff I loved that too. No incarnation of the group should be marginalized. Some of my favorite tracks include Sam and Paul from Live Art. I am so ecstatic for Howard's return. The tour last year getting too see the original lineup perform all the songs I had only heard through speakers was a dream come true! And now and album!

To be straight honest the other thing I hope for would be a complete quintet album and tour in the future. Combine both of the longest versions of the band into one new sound.

Anyway, while I can see some merit to a few of his points, they are certainly not communicated well. Hopefully someone else will do a more thorough article soon.
RVACharlie

Return to Flecktones