Hi there!

The all 'Tones talk area.

Hi there!

Postby Remillo » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:56 pm

Okay, so, there's no Introduction area... And I would be posting in the Community forums, but I'm tired and I want to through everything in to one post!

So, Hi. I'm Remi. I've known of Fleck and the Tones since around the spring of 2009, when we played an arrangement of "New South Africa" with my school's Percussion Ensemble. I sorta remembered the name after seeing it on the score, but didn't really get in to it until December of 2010, when our new Director handed us another piece by the Flecktones: The Sinister Minister. Everything then came back to me and I started to obsessed with the Flecktones. It started with buy the album "Live Art" off of iTunes and loving every minute of that concert.

From there, I was content with that album... Until I looked at their website and saw that Rocket Science had just been released. Having just gotten a $25 gift card for iTunes, you can see where that went. And, amazingly, on that same day, the Flecktones were streaming from Bonnaroo, which honestly just made my day right there, to see them perform live (which has been added to my bucket list - to go to one of their concerts). And after hearing the version of Sunset Road with the vocals... God, I want a recording of that rendition. It even lead me to buy the original Flecktones album with the rest of the previously mentioned gift card. But alas, I can't find the vocals anywhere.

So I've been a happy Flecktones addict for a few months now. I've started branching out and listening to other things these guys have done. I recently added Bela's "Perpetual Motion" album to my library, and it's just amazing. Words cannot describe the love and admiration I have for these musicians. I just wish you could come to North Carolina more often (totally missed that you guys were just here!) so that my friends and family and I can come worsh-- see you guys perform!

A few suggesty things -
1) I love the lyrics to Sunset Road, but can't find them anywhere! Are there any plans to record that version (or if one exists, I've totally missed it?) or just to have the lyrics written out and posted somewhere? Or is it one of those treats that people who attend concerts gets and the general public doesn't?

2) Also, to Mr. Fleck - If you ever plan to record and release another album of Classical done on Banjo, I have a song suggestion - Antonio Bazzini's The Dance (Round) of the Goblins". It's an incredibly fast duet for Violin and Piano, and just trying to imagine the Violin part one Banjo makes my head go in to a state of awe.

To my fellow Flecktones addicts - I will be forever glad my High School band Directors threw me in to playing this music and indirectly introduced to the wonderous music of the Flecktones.

Long Live BLUBOP!
Remillo

Re: Hi there!

Postby DMBTex10101 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:29 am

Hi there Remillo,

Welcome aboard. You've only skimmed the surface as far as the Flecktones go, but that's not a bad thing at all. There is a ton of Flecktone music out there to be heard and I'm sure you will enjoy it all.

While you're in between albums, I recommend checking out a few places.
First, to hear a version of Sunset Road, I would checkout archive.org. They have a ton of Flecktone concerts available to stream or download. While the Bonnaroo show from this year isn't there yet, there are other versions of sunset Road. Like the version from June 4th of this year: http://www.archive.org/details/bfft2011-06-04.flac16

Next for the lyrics you can go here: http://archivesincowtown.org/songlyrics.php

Both archive.org and the Archives in Cowtown have tons of Flecktone music and information, so there is plenty to listen to until you decide which album you want to dig into next (although if you like the Flecktones with the harmonica I recommend UFO Tofu, it's one of my favorites).
DMBTex10101

Postby HopeL » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:06 pm

June 17, 2011 - Telluride Bluegrass Festival - Great rendition of Sunset Road, lyrics provided live by Futureman.

If' it's not already on http://www.archive.org then it will be very soon..... and worth the wait.

Enjoy!

Hope Lin :geek:
HopeL

Postby Bumbershoot » Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:22 pm

Hi Remi,

If you don't mind doing the bit torrent thing, the Flecktones show from June 17 at Telluride which Hope mentioned is available here:

http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=546269

As Hope said, it has a version of Sunset Road with vocals.

There are some upcoming shows listed for NC on the Tour Page, just click the "Tour" link at the top of this page! It lists Asheville on Aug. 11, Wilmington on Aug. 14, and Charlotte on Oct. 23 as well as some VA dates. You think you're a Flecktones fan now, wait until you see them live!

If you like Perpetual Motion, try Music For Two (Bela Fleck and Edgar Meyer), Uncommon Ritual (Fleck, Meyer and Mike Marshall) or The Melody Of Rhythm (Fleck, Meyer and Zakir Hussain) which features their Triple Concerto, backed by the Detroit Symphony. Or anything else Bela has recorded. Seriously.

Happy Listening!
Bumbershoot

Return to Flecktones