Lowell MA

The all 'Tones talk area.

Lowell MA

Postby batleon » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:04 pm

Posted this on another site, but thought I'd mention it here too:

Saw the Flecktones in Lowell. The show was really good. Highlights were Prickly Pear, Sex in a Pan >> Life in Eleven, Wolf Laurel, Big Country (phenomenal version), Sunset Road, Falani, and Sinister Minister. I was really worried I wasn't going to dig the Howard Levy lineup but I thought it was fantastic. I wouldn't hesitate to see them again.

Also:

Damn it, they played Blue Bop the show before mine and the show after... well maybe next time.

I had some doubts about the Flecktones going back to Howard, seemed like a step backwards. I'm sure they had some doubts too. But they sounded awesome the other night. I want to say they are a much stronger group than they were back in the early nineties, though that may not be fair given that all I have as a basis for comparison is old tapes. I really feel like the new tunes are a step forward for them and they sound damn good live. Here's hoping they keep it going.
batleon

Re: Lowell MA

Postby LeftD » Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:27 pm

I was there, too, and it was a great show! I've been to 11-12 shows, all during the Jeff Coffin era. With Howard Levy, they are almost a whole different band! I didn't appreciate what a great piano player Levy is - thought of him more as "the harmonica guy". It was a truly amazing show (Boardinghouse Park is a great venue for any band), and to me the band seems to have more cohesion with Levy - with individual solos seeming to fit better in the songs.

It was nice to see one Coffin-era tune in the set (Big Country), and the digression from there into a Slipstream duet with Bela and Casey Driessen was great.

Rocket Science is a great album - I expect it to get a Grammy nomination. My guess as to which song will get a Grammy nomination - "Life in Eleven". That and Prickly Pear were great on the album and just as great live. Sweet Pomegranites and Gravity Lane were good on the album but much, much better live. Bottle Rocket was a great choice to open the show.

Also, this was the first time I've seen them play "Sinister Minister". I think they played that song a lot even during the Coffin era, so I am not sure how I managed to get to 11 or 12 shows without seeing it, but it was well worth the wait to see it with Howard. Now that I have finally seen Sin Min, the song I haven't seen but most want to see them play is "The Yee-Haw Factor"! I'm going to try and catch the Northampton show in November - hopefully they'll do it then.

Any chance of a live album based on this tour? They haven't done one since LatQ in 2001, and with Howard rejoining the band this would be a great time for another - especially since this might be the last Flecktone tour. (Although having seen them live, I have my fingers crossed that it is not!)
LeftD

Postby HopeL » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:45 pm

Big Country was actually first released on the recording titled Uncommon Ritual. The trio of musicians were Edgar Meyer, Bela Fleck & Mike Marshall. The release was in 1997, just prior to Jeff Coffin becoming one of The Flecktones. You should really check out this recording. It is truly wonderful music!

Hope Lin :geek:
HopeL

Postby batleon » Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:16 pm

I'll be damned. I had no idea Big Country was on Uncommon Ritual. I always figured I'd grab a copy of it if I ever stumbled across one, maybe I will have to actively hunt it down now.
batleon

Return to Flecktones