Acoustic Banjo Pickups?

The 'Shop Talk' area for all instrumentalists and enthusiasts

Acoustic Banjo Pickups?

Postby Remillo » Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:58 am

So, recently I've started to pick up the Banjo that we've had sitting around the house. Getting started with our three different kinds of "Teach Yourself Banjo!" books, and planning to find a private teacher after my school's Marching season ends (I'm not too good at learning from a book. Would rather a person), and my friend has asked if I'd want to do some Banjo work in his band for the School's talent show in January. Which brings me to my question:

If I'm playing in a group that will most likely be Me (Acoustic Banjo), an Electric Guitar, a Bass (or another Guitar) and a Drum kit, would simply Mic'ing the Banjo suffice or should I get a Pickup? I'd say that that first part can really only be answered as we see what the amplifying equipment does to the sounds. But if I DO decide to go with a Pick-up, what should I go for? I've looked around a bit, and I've found ones that are pretty much Mics wrapped around the bar inside the body and pick up sound from in there, but I've also seen once that are just small microphones that mount on the front of the instrument and pick up what comes out of the head. Basically, I want something on the cheaper side that works well and doesn't necessarily require permanent installation.

Thanks for your time!

(Also, as a side note - any chance anyone out there has sheets for Nemo's Dream? I've fallen in love with it.)
Remillo

Re: Acoustic Banjo Pickups?

Postby Bumbershoot » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:41 pm

You might try posting your question on a banjo forum like banjohangout.org
Here's a link: http://www.banjohangout.org/
Bumbershoot

Re: Acoustic Banjo Pickups?

Postby rocky111 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:27 am

private teacher after my school's Marching season ends (I'm not too good at learning from a book. Would rather a person), and my friend has asked if I'd want to do some Banjo work in his band for the School's talent show in January. Which brings me to my question:
rocky
rocky111

Return to Musicians